Monday, July 05, 2010

4th of July Made me Giggle!!

Rachel asked me to take her and 4 friends from church to the Levee this year to watch fireworks. We almost didn't go because of her rudeness but she apologized. I guess she assumes that because I'm driving her there, I am going to smother her or embarrass her. Anyway, I'm glad we went and what an amusing night.
I drove across the Mississippi River bridge and went to Port Allen, figured it would be alot safer than downtown Baton Rouge. However, it was redneck central!! We get there and I point out to Rachel where i will be and decided on a meeting place for after the fireworks. I sit in the middle of these people at the top of the levee. Nice, professional family on one side and poor, ignorant, but kind rednecks on the other. I was amused all night listening to them and watching all the people in the crowd. A band started playing and that made it even more comical. The rednecks next to me reminded me of David. Always listening to music as loud as it can go and had bad hearing to show for it. They were hoarse because they were constantly yelling, even on their cell phones. I would giggle every time they would say think....it was always thank. Little kids everywhere and they didn't even realize how many times they were saying the F word. But, their conversations....you could tell they had really good hearts, they just weren't very bright. When the fireworks started, instead of the oooos and ahhhs that one of my friends texted me about....I was hearing, "Hell, yeahs". I was cracking up!!
Now, enough about them. During my people watching, I had my eye on two people in particular. For the life of me, I could not figure out if the were male or female!! They weren't together. I would see this one, a black person with a white woman, stroll by. It was thin build but looked like they had breasts but I really couldn't tell. Face could have passed for either sex. Now, the other, a white person, really reminded me of a girl. Couldn't figure it out by looking at them. But had some mannerisms of a woman but alot like a man. Never could figure them out!! And how odd to see two in the same place!
Now the police in this town....all Mayberry and off of the Duke's of Hazard. Too hilarious. One old guy was going down the levee bank and kept stumbling when he would try to talk into his shoulder radio. It was like chewing gum and walking....he just couldn't get the rhythm. Seemed really anxious too, like they were on a manhunt. They were just after people who set off some fire crackers!! OH NO!!! Then after the show they were driving in and out of the crowd on 4 wheelers. I don't think they were doing any crowd control or anything---just driving in and out of the crowd. Sort of an honor to be seen and to be on a 4 wheeler!
I think this had to be my funniest 4th of July ever!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home